Monday, March 14, 2011

Preview

Hmm. It looks like I’m going to need a little more time/coffee before I can condense my thoughts into something readable. I’ll give you guys a little preview of why I started thinking about this subject to help tide you over.

Like many gamers, I’ve been playing Dragon Age 2 recently, and I’ve been enjoying it quite a bit (in spite of its flaws). Of course, while playing I couldn’t help but compare DA2 to its predecessor, Dragon Age: Origins (never played Awakenings personally), and its in-company rival, Mass Effect 2. To me, DA2 seemed to bridge the gap between the other two games; offering the voiced main-character and semi-hidden dialogue wheel from Mass Effect, while retaining some of the more grindy, free-flowing aspects of DA:O.

Another game that I’ve been playing recently, and have recently completed, is Nier. I could go on for days about how astoundingly, and surprisingly good that game is, and I likely will in the future, but for now just take my word that it is a decent game that tells a phenomonal story. Part of the power of this story, is the player’s interaction with it. The points where the player can affect the story are rare, and very limited in the options available, but they hold enormous power. It is the comparison between these limited interactions, and the plentiful choices offered in DA2 that I hope to discuss tomorrow. Until then, have a good night!

No comments: